Monday, June 22, 2009



I do not recommend running a Google image search on Octopussy. Anyhow...

I was underwhelmed by this outing. Apart from some great stunt work involving a train and a fight on an airplane (literally), none of the action in Octopussy is all that fantastic. They also made some odd decisions for Bond, putting him in ape and clown costumes and having him swing on vines complete with a Tarzan yell. The idea of Bond infiltrating an island populated exclusively by women had potential, but the story doesn't do much with it.

Since I'm about 20 years into the franchise, I've been interested in how different the films look - which is to say, not that different at all. They rely on impressive locales and each director has chosen to frame them with a painter's eye - sprawling and majestic, yet static, because a lot of the close-up action is filmed at Pinewood Studios in England. The colour palettes haven't changed much. While there have been advancements in technology, it stills looks hilariously out of date.

I have one more Roger Moore Bond film to go. I'm expecting a dramatic shift in film quality and tone with the Timothy Dalton films.

No comments: