Friday, April 10, 2009



I'll say this about Roger Moore: he loves his boat chases. I think there's been a speed boat chase in every Moore Bond film thus far. A little puzzling, perhaps, since I was expecting that more of Moonraker would take place in space. It wasn't as bad as I had heard it might be. Moore is finally having more fun with the role, ludicrous as the plots might be getting. I'll never understand why anyone thought it a good idea to speed up the motion of a shot in order to make it more action-packed. The Three Stooges showed us that fast motion is primarily played for comedy.

Despite the requisite frenetic action scenes (the opening skydiving segment is killer), the series is blending more and more into comedy. Jaws finds love in this one. A pigeon does a double take. Q observes that Bond is attempting "re-entry" with a completely straight face. I'm over halfway through the Moore Bond films, and I know Timothy Dalton takes the seriousness up a notch, so it I suppose it remains to be seen how much more ridiculous the series can get. John Glen takes over directorial duties for the next few films, so we'll see what he can do.

No comments: